Monday, June 24, 2013


Hello everybody! Today I´m going to refer about a picture and I chose. This image is known as “Miliciana de Waswalito”.

To start, this picture was taken by Orlando Valenzuela, a man from Rivas. He started to take pictures in 1980 and this picture was taken in July 1984 in Waswalito, a little rural community in Nicaragua. In this time Orlando was a photographer and editor in a magazine called “Los Muchachos”, this publication is conducted by a group called “Juventud Sandinista 19 de julio”.
This image shows a young countrywoman smiling. She is holding her child and has her rifle on her shoulder. But, what does it mean? The photographer says that he took this picture because he saw a combination of tenderness in this woman with the little boy and the force in the defense, in the rifle and Valenzuela or the editor put the name.

In the same year the image was taken as the official image of “Campaña Mundial de Solidaridad con Nicaragua.” Giving an important amount of money for the country, but this woman didn´t receive any money.
I think that I chose this image for three reasons: First, because I enjoy black and white a lot!, second because a friend gave me this picture for my birthday and the last point is because I like the meaning of this picture. I like to see this woman with a big smile and the little boy, regardless of the context.

Thanks for visiting


2 comments:

  1. this photo is really beautiful, it makes me feel many emotions. thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image is so interesting, it makes me want to know more about she. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete